Pages

Sunday 28 February 2010

Shabby Vintage

I'm going to be honest. I have never made a vintage card before. This is for two reasons 1. I don't fully get what vintage is other than old looking and 2. I'm scared of it..... mainly all of the patterns I have seen used. Every time I buy a paper pack I get at least one page that I never use because it looks vintage. Well I think I have finally gotten to grips with my phobia and this is what happened.


Simon Says challenged us to make something vintage and to add flowers. At first I wasn't going to try, but I thought, "If you don't try you can't learn". I bought a papermania paper pack a while ago as part of a goody bag. I have to say that I don't know what to do with half of the papers, but they have inspired a lot of the orange cards that I have done lately. The paper I used on this card was one of the scarier ones in the pack. I edged the pieces I was using with fire brick and then I got a little too happy with the candle. I learned that adding distress ink and then setting light to the paper just makes it burn for longer (wont be doing that again).


Dotties world asked us to do some distressing which is where I got the idea for the pyromania.
I die cut some card and embossed it using a Fiskars texture plate. I coloured it with Aged mahogany and Fired Brick then sanded it in places until the white core showed through.

The flowers all started off cream. I have coloured them with three different distress inks and added gems to the centers. I have added a heart charm on chain to the main part of the card along with some ribbon and gems to the base for a bit of sparkle, which brings me on to the challenge at CRAFT challenge who wanted us to use ribbon and sparkle.
If anyone can give me some tips on vintage card making, I would be most grateful. Please feel free to tell me what I could have done better with this card as I learn from your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Hello
    You have done a lot to this card and it turned out very beautiful. The papers are great, they fits just perfect. I love the sanding.
    And this Image is so great to these papers, it is almost a Molin Rouge feeling over this card.
    Really great take on these challenges.
    Thanks for joining us at Dotties World on this one.
    Gunn :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab card, thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge this week and good luck!

    Jo and Tigerlover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is really different and so pretty..Love the embossing and the way you have distress the colours..Perfecto!!Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I could see of the card looked wonderful but you'd do your projects more justice if the pic's could go to larger mode when clicked on. I had to 'pump up' my browser which isn't ideal!
    Thank you for coming over to play at C.R.A.F.T this week!
    Hugs,
    Eiglas
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, love the sassy image and the fab papers.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is awesome, hope you will be trying vinatage and distressing again as you have certainly hit the nail on the head with this one. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahahaa alcahol ink AND a candle!?? Are your eyebrows OK? Well love it was worth the pyrotechnics, it's stunning! I love everything about this one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    great work.
    Thanls for joining in by SSC this week.

    And have a look on the EAC-Challenge, you won something.

    Domi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet you wont be scared again and it wont be the last time; you definitely pulled it off. Great card, smashing work!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...